New Delhi. Suspended wrestler Vinesh Phogat on Saturday apologized to the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI), which barred him from competing during the Tokyo Olympics on grounds of indiscipline. Even after this apology, it is highly likely that WFI will not allow him to compete in the upcoming World Championship. Vinesh had crashed out of the Tokyo Olympics after losing in the quarter-finals. Vinesh had not only ruled out staying with his fellow players but also did not train with them during the tournament.
Along with this, Vinesh Phogat wore a ‘singlet’ in the name of the private sponsor instead of the official sponsor of the Indian contingent, due to which he was suspended by the WFI. A day after his suspension, Vinesh, referring to his physical and mental struggle during the Games, said that he did not have the services of his personal physio. The 26-year-old wrestler replied to the notice sent to him by the WFI on Friday.
World Archery Youth Championships: India won 3 gold medals in mixed events
A source with knowledge of the matter said, “WFI has received a reply and Vinesh has apologized.” “Despite the apology, however, there is a high probability that she may not be allowed to travel to the World Championships,” he added. WFI is not happy with the way private sports NGOs like OGQ (Olympic Gold Quest) and JSW are working. These organizations sponsor many Indian athletes, including wrestlers.
WFI believes that these organizations are ‘spoiling’ them. WFI has said that it will not allow them to interfere in the affairs of senior wrestlers in future. Vinesh is backed by OGQ while Bajrang Punia is backed by JSW. It has also been learned that Sonam Malik, who has apologized for her behaviour, may also be barred from appearing in the trials for the World Championships to be held in Norway from October 2 to 10.
Mirabai Chanu said- she will wear special design earrings till she brings gold in the next Olympics
The WFI had issued a notice to Sonam, who had sought the help of Sports Authority of India (SAI) staff to collect her passport before leaving for the Games. The trial is expected to be held in the last week of this month. The source also said that Divya Kakran can also be prevented from appearing in the trial. She was also served a notice for bad behavior three months ago, she competes in the 68kg category. WFI will decide the fate of the three wrestlers on Monday or Tuesday.
Read Hindi News online and watch Live TV News18 on Hindi website. Know news related to country and abroad and your state, Bollywood, sports world, business.