Digital Desk, Mumbai. Punjab Kings defeated Rajasthan Royals by 4 runs in the fifth match of IPL 2021. Batting first after losing the toss, the Punjab team scored 221 runs after losing 6 wickets in 20 overs. In response, the Rajasthan team could only score 217 runs for 7 wickets in 20 overs. As captain, Samson scored a century in his very first match. He became the first player of the IPL to do so. It was Samson’s third century in the IPL. He also equaled AB de Villiers in terms of century.
However, Samson’s century went in vain. In the last over, Rajasthan needed 13 runs to win. For Punjab, Arshdeep Singh bowled in the 20th over. Only 2 runs came off the first 3 balls. After that Samson hit a six on the fourth ball. No run scored on the fifth ball. On the final ball, Rajasthan needed 5 runs to win. Samson shot, but she went into the hands of Deepak Hooda standing on the boundary line. Samson was dismissed for 119 off 63 balls.
- Ben Stokes and Manan Vohra landed for the Rajasthan Royals for the opening. The team did not have a good start. Mohammed Shami gave the Rajasthan Royals the first blow at zero. Stokes was out without opening an account. Shami took his catch on his own ball.
- After this, the team’s second wicket fell at the score of 25 runs. Fast bowler Arshdeep caught Manan Vohra’s catch on his own ball. Vohra was dismissed for 12 runs off 8 balls.
- Jose Butler tried to handle the innings with Samson. He hit 4 consecutive fours off Rylee Meredith in the 5th over. However, he could not continue this momentum and was dismissed for 25 runs off 13 balls. He was bowled clean by Jay Richardson. Butler and Samson shared a 45-run partnership for 26 balls for the third wicket.
- After losing 3 wickets for 70 runs, Shivam Dubey shared a 53-run 33-ball partnership with Samson for the fourth wicket. Dubey was out for 23 off 15 balls. Arshadeep caught them by Deepak Hooda.
- Ryan Parag, who came to bat after Dubey’s dismissal, started his innings with fours as soon as he came. He scored 25 runs off 11 balls. Parag shared a 52-run partnership with Samson for 23 balls for the 5th wicket.
- Rahul Tevatiya came to the crease after Parag was dismissed. Last season, Teotia hit 5 sixes in an over against Punjab. It was expected that he would score in this match as well. But he could not do anything special and was dismissed by scoring 2 runs.
- In the last 3 overs, Rajasthan needed 40 runs to win. Samson and Chris Morris were at the crease. But Rajasthan’s team could score only 35 runs. Samson was dismissed on the last ball. He scored 119 runs off 63 balls. For Punjab, Arshdeep took 3, Shami took 2, Richardson and Meredith took 1–1 wickets.
Lokesh Rahul breaks Shane Watson’s record
Captain Lokesh Rahul made his 22nd FIFTY in IPL. He scored 91 runs off 50 balls. Chetan Sakaria gets Rahul caught by Rahul Tewatia. Tewatia took a brilliant catch at the boundary. Rahul overtook former Australian all-rounder Shane Watson in most fifties. Watson scored 3874 runs in 145 matches with 21 fifties. He retired from the IPL only after the last season.
Punjab Kings innings
- Mayank Agarwal and captain Lokesh Rahul landed for the Punjab team. Punjab’s first wicket fell on the score of 22 runs. Opener Mayank Agarwal was out for 14 runs off 9 balls. Fast bowler Chetan Sakaria, making his IPL debut, was caught out by wicketkeeper Samson.
- Chris Gayle then came in to bat at number three. As soon as he came, he took some aggressive shots. Gayle was out for 40 off 28 balls. He was caught by Ryan Parag at the hands of Ben Stokes. Gayle hit 4 fours and 2 sixes in his innings. Gayle shared a 67-run partnership with Rahul for 45 balls for the second wicket.
- Hooda and Rahul handled Punjab’s innings after falling 2 wickets for 89 runs. During this, Rahul completed the 22nd FIFTY. At the same time, Hooda scored a half-century on 20 balls. He was dismissed after scoring 64 runs. He hit 4 fours and 6 sixes in his innings.
- This is the 7th season of Hooda, who made his IPL debut in 2015. He has scored 3 half-centuries in the IPL so far. Hooda shared a 105-run partnership with Rahul for 47 balls for the third wicket. Hooda was caught by Chris Morris at the hands of Ryan Pollen.
- Nicholas Pooran, who came to bat on Hooda’s dismissal, could not do anything special and was dismissed for zero. Sakaria took his best catch at Morris’s ball.
- Rahul took Punjab’s score to 200. However, he succumbed to Nervous-90. His wicket fell in the wake of a big shot in the 20th over. Rahul Tewatiya catches Rahul’s best catch on Sakaria’s ball. Rahul hit 7 fours and 5 sixes in his 91-run innings.
- After this, Shah Rukh Khan and J Richardson took Punjab’s total to 221 runs. Shah Rukh remained unbeaten on 6 runs and Richardson zero. Chetan Sakaria, who made a debut for Rajasthan, took the maximum 3 wickets. At the same time, Chris Morris got 2 wickets.
Rajasthan Royals dropped 3 catches in the match
Leg-spinner Shreyas Gopal was bowling in the 7th over of the Punjab innings. Rahul played a long shot on the third ball of the over. Stokes, fielding at the boundary, gave up his catch. The ball missed Stokes’ hand and went across the boundary. At this time Rahul was batting for 15 runs.
After this, in the 9th over, Rahul Tevatia gave up Gayle’s catch on his own ball. At this time Gayle was batting for 33 runs. Deepak fired a high shot over Mustafizur’s ball in the 15th over. Jose Butler and Ben Stokes could not judge it and the ball fell between the two.
4 from Rajasthan and 3 from Punjab
Chetan Sakaria, Shivam Dubey, Mustafizur Rahman and Manan Vohra received Rajasthan cap from Rajasthan Royals. All three players will debut for Rajasthan in today’s match. On the other hand, Shah Rukh Khan, Jhay Richardson and Riley Meredith got the cap from Punjab, this means that these three players will make their debut for Punjab in today’s match.